Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Witch


So, where have I been?
This weekend just past, I knocked out my fourth Sunday ride in wet, precipitous conditions. But this time, like last Sunday it was not in the usual environs, and this time was on completely new roads.

I was offered a weekend away, to a remote spot up north, in exchange for some manual labour. It was an offer that I could not refuse. There are only a few lines on the map of New Zealand that I haven't coursed along at some stage, and this was an opportunity to fill in a gap of my geographic knowledge.

We traveled north on Saturday, and the evening's festivities from the night prior showed a little on the windy road through to Helena Bay, where a small stop of the side of the road, and a wander in the fresh air was needed for me to avoid regurgitating my earlier coffee and pastry.

We toiled Saturday, having consulted the weather oracle, and made the decision to ride Sunday. As it turned out, the decision as to which day to ride was a moot point, as the weather was unbending and unchanging over the weekend.

The two of us set out on Sunday, and I rode a section of road that is used in the Tour of Northland, it is a magnificent stretch of road, a mix of grunts and views, sweeping corners, gnarled landscapes, on Sunday  the weather was a bonus. I can imagine it on a fine day, but equally I am glad to have ridden it with great company, on a grey, damp, close north easterlie day. It made me appreciate it even more.

I will return. Thanks Wayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment