Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fitzroy, I ain't


K2, another year down, and another set of learnings.

I had prepped well, my equipment was ideal and up to the task, I started well and rode happily in the bunch as it ascended the first climb of the day, Kopu-Hikuai. My fear of being in the ejected portion of the group on that climb proved baseless. I rolled happily in the bunch to Pumpkin Hill, then was shed like a skin, and left to fend for myself. The rest of the ride was spent solo, in small groups, a larger group, then solo again, then a small group to finish with.

The roll down the Thames Coast, with the wind on my back and the sun out, was balm to my angst, and soothed a number of demons that had been nibbling. My climbing in the later half of the event was respectable, my rolling on the flat was easy, in a sense, by the finish, I snatched satisfaction from the jaws of despair.

So, what went wrong at Tairua?

I had made a poor call clothingwise, based on looking at the forecast and the rain radar. I started with only a jersey and base layer, when almost all others in the group had arm warmers and gillets. As a consequence, on the long descent of the Kopu-Hikuai hill, and the nicely paced roll through to Tairua, with the preciptation that fell, and an ambient temperature of 14 degrees, I got very cold. When Pumpkin Hill was met, I was simply unable to hold pace, and drifted astray. After being chilled, it took a long time to warm again, and even then my day was over, so I engaged tourist mode and enjoyed.

On the Thames Coast, as I rolled along in the warmth, with the sparkling sea as a companion, I decided, once and for all, that my K2 career was over. I have ridden the event 8 times, including the very first one. I have enjoyed all of them in parts, some more than others, but I have no desire to keep chasing some holy grail, that is unobtainable for a lummox like me.

On the positive side of the ledger, I did get to use my beautiful, light wheels that were built for me by Tristan Thomas of Wheelworks . These aluminium rimmed beauties, I have written of them before, weigh a little over 1300 grams, and stiff, true and responsive, and in that dreadful weather on Saturday provided good braking, in a sure manner. I can't recommend getting a set of hand built wheels enough, the amount of sheer pleasure, and satisfaction that I derive from riding something that was created just for me by an artisan is an utter joy.

The other "highlights" of the weekend, were learning about The Batchelor and spying a soiled smurf in the shared accommodation.

Thanks to The Worm and Junior for being a solid part of my journey getting to K2 over winter and spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment