Sunday, August 16, 2009

This was space

What's up with all these hoary old bands getting together for revival tours? Men, usually, well past their youth, getting on again like nothing acrimonious ever passed between them, all for the sake of a bit of wallet depletion in the name of nostalgia.

Over the past couple of years there have been a number of tours of reformed groups, all who haven't produced anything since their prime, but are held closely to the bosum of us born in the decade of peace, love and sunshine. These bands are no longer Angry Young Men and I'd wager that good deal of them no longer hold dear the tennents of their beliefs that they had when they wrote their material. So, what gives?

Don't misunderstand me and think that I am saying that once you reach a certain age you should no longer take the stage. Heaven forbid that thinking. There are a growing number of artists who are ageing and still adding to their body of work with new material that is worthy and innovative, in many cases maturity adding new dimensions. Additionally, these chaps live have a body of work and experience that allow for deeply enriching concert experiences.

My gripe, and what I maintain, is that an artist, or group, who are just trading on nostalgia won't be getting any of my wallet contents.

Enough grizzling, CTB and I are off for another scout of new sections of road bike urban foolishness. Come Wednesday night we will be finding excuses for feeling brave. Then we will have a beer or two, before we wobble off again.

In the interim, I decided to plot out the route of the Nutcracker Suite. This little loop of torture and terror is not of my creation, it was the inspired creation of CTB, and his fevered hand lays heavily upon it.

Here it is:-

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/nz/auckland/323125046384124300

Go, tackle it, I'd recommend at least a twenty six on the back, a securely fastened stem and a good dose of Chopper Read as essential components.

We had often thought it would be fun to have a competition around this loop. Open to anyone, they just post their time. I might even be brave and post my next attempt, that will give a nice, low baseline.

1 comment:

  1. It's a fact that one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse wears a Styx Reunion Tour t-shirt over his cloak.

    ReplyDelete