Monday, September 7, 2009

Rubber Glove Seduction


Sometimes days beckon and a ride is ordered. On this occassion, several years ago, the weather was fair and the assembled company decreed that we should head south and tackle Ararimu Road and the Hunua Valley. There were four of us that day, The Reader from Mt Rascel, Mr Kerby, CTB and myself. In all, the makings of a good ride with a few laughs thrown in.
Normally I ride with the climbing prowess of a land anchor, but on this day CTB was midst sumo training and was a little more lardy than usual, so my grasp on the caboose was taken. Every time the road pointed skyward he would go to the back of the class, then get sent to the corridor.
At that particular time I was pretending to be scientific and analytical about my riding and had one of those infernal Polar Power Meter thingamees. At best it looked like someone had dropped a few extra cables and zipties on my bike and then tried to deny their existence. Looking back it wasn't the best piece of industrial design I've ever seen, and was nothing more than an ego caresser for me.

That particular day it did have a use. I was able to gauge the exact point when CTB would be sent from the class, one watt higher and he was adrift, so we rode all the climbs off my wattage and made gentle time.
The ride progressed well, the day was balmy and the wind benign. Then we stopped at the Ardmore aerodrome and the strange little cafe there.
Conversation was quite civil, until The Reader from Mt Rascel started mentioning that he was now of an age that he needed a prostate check, to which CTB popped out with "A visit to Dr Jellyfinger!"

That set all of us off, there were tears of mirth and rolling around. The other elderly patrons wondered what these four lycra clad fools doing. A good ten minutes of my life disappeared.
After the hysteria had dispersed we were finally able to remount and ride off, but the merest hint of anything rubbery for the rest of the ride and legs would be instantly weakened.
It is now a ride etched indelibly in my memory.
I'll post the route tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it was good stuff.... still to have the visit to Dr Jellyfinger though... the thought of a rubber glove around that area of my anatomy just doesn't do it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story would be a lot more interesting if it had pictures of Mila Jovovich wearing rubber gloves......only rubber gloves.

    ReplyDelete