Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Arthropod gravity traction


It is one of the blessing of the bike, the sheer freedom that it confers upon you, the freedom to go anywhere that your legs and mind will take you. The reality of the modern road bike is that there aren't too many places that you can't ride it, if you are willing.

I embarked on some pathfinding on Sunday, deciding that I was going to ride from Muriwai to Woodhill, via the forestry roads. There was some trepidation on my behalf, my Garmin didn't have too much detail for the forestry roads and I have borne witness in the past of paper roads showing up in various maps, that are nothing more than goat tracks fit for a sure footed ass.

I was also aware that Woodhill forest is quite a big place, and while there are no feral beasts that enjoy long pork dwelling in the forest, there are trees and quite possibly the hills do have eyes.

I did a little research, photographed the relevant topo maps and set out. Boldly to go where no road bike has gone before.

I had a brief taste of metal on the back road into Muriwai, then it was on Coast Road on a very rough hard surface past the golf club and into the unknown for me. I was waved through the gate into the forest by security, who were letting vehicles in with trailers and motocross bikes on board. I rode on, past a few bemused walkers, into the pines. As I continued I was passed by a couple of cars with motorbikes.

After a couple of kilometres, I was on a long straight through the forest, there deep in the woods was a motocross meet. Parked down both sides of the road for over a kilometre were cars and trailers, the revving of engines, the smell of two stroke and men in body armour. The track was firm and fast and I rolled along the narrow passage, met with a mix of looks, everything from disdain to wonder. The only near miss was a midget on a peewee 50.

After I passed through that, I had the forest to myself, it was simply sensational. I was on top of my world. After several kilometres I managed to take the correct turn and climb over the hill to meet the road into Woodhill MTB park. There, on the gate, was another security chap who was letting people in for orienteering, after he asked me where I'd come from, he was quite surprised at my method of transport.


All up it was a bit over 12 kilometres of forestry roads and no seal, and it was brilliant. I'll be going back in a heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment