Monday, August 16, 2010

The Hedge Sparrow


Use of profanity is sometimes an artform, recently I was pondering this and decided to do some research. I quite like Goodfellas, the Martin Scorcese directed epic. The word "Fuck" is used 422 times in the movie, quite spectacular, and far more, even on a cuss per minute basis than most other films.

But for sheer damned cussedness, Steve Martin, in Planes, Trains and Automobiles takes the biscuit. Fuck or Fucking 18 times in just over a minute. I think that was quite a tirade.

This run of weather is eating my soul, I knocked out a very pleasurable ride with Mikeal and Doris from their castle in Sud Auckland. We rolled around the excellent roads of Karaka, Waiau Pa, Clarks Beach, Patumahoe, Pukekohe, etc. Avoiding the worst of the weather and enjoying the ride.

For a while Mikeal and I traded names ornithological. Everything from Albatross to Chinstrap Penguin, Royal Spoonbill to Knot, Crested Grebe to Swallow, most amusing, especially when Mikeal named the Jabberwocky. I'm certain that Lewis Carroll was most proud, but his fearsome beast was foul, not fowl. Minor malapropism, it was a Jabiru that the Onastic One was meaning.

Then we passed time with the name game, famous people, Doris is a whizz at this game, and soon Mikeal was suffering from an "E" blockage and I was stumped by "H". It certainly passed the miles well, but I must say it is a poor second to telling bad sex stories.

The Northern Hell still beckons, but this weather is just too unreliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment