Monday, November 29, 2010

Brother Number Two


I encountered, a couple of times, the bastard version of the BCL again recently, and while I did set the record straight, I'm quite bemused has to how it morphed from one ride to something quite different running in the oppposite direction. But it did get me thinking, that it's about time that I organised an official outing and roll around the genuine article for old times sake.

This time last year, I organised a ride around it, but after getting waylaid the night before due to a winning streak at poker, imbibing more than my fair share of christmas cheer and then wandering home without sleeping in anyone's front yard to get two hours sleep before Mikeal and Doris arrived to find me still in my cups, I was useless. Suffice to say, I missed the ride, which was by all accounts a very good ride, and I was shamed.

To that end, I wish to make amends and run the ride again, on Sunday 12 December, meeting at 7:30am at the corner of Dominion Road and Balmoral Roads, all are welcome, this time, I've checked my social calender, and made sure that I will be ethanol free the night before.

And no cards either...

Here's some good reading from someone, Gayle Brownlee, who actually races her bike, instead of daydreams about it like me.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit a group of us have morphed the route by adding bits and bobs along the way, however out of respect we don't call it the BCL - because it ain't! There's a group of riders out of Pt Chev called the Suburban Spiders who have tagged several rides around Indian food. Take a look: http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/SuburbsSpiders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you go through the Western Cycle Path at Unitec on the way out to the BCL?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for that, I'd seen the Suburban Spiders routes before, and there are a another groups who have an even more bastardised version that bears no resemblance to the BCL that I know, it runs in the other direction across the Waitaks, misses a couple of roads, and climbs Konini Road.

    Just quite amusing as to how a casual Saturday ride with a few louts turned into something of Auckland cycling lore.

    Yes, we do pass through Unitec and the Western Cycle Path on the way out. This Sunday, the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete