Friday, March 25, 2011

The monkey halo




Today I received a phone call from my twin brother. Oh alright, the man who should be my twin brother, but as some of you know, I have no fraternal relations, it’s just more that at various times he and I are more than a little alike, mainly mentally, especially in our love of things childish and our shared ability to irritate some folk.

Granted that one of us got looks and one of us got charm, it would be a damn well sighted mother who could tell that we don’t spring from the same hewn rock.

Anyway back to the phone call, without any preamble, Mikeal, my twin, tells me he watched a documentary on Cousin Jeffery this morning. It’s not every day that one gets a phone call to chat not every day that one gets a phone call to chat about serial killers and it was a reminder that I have been far too serious of late.

I was going to write about the company AquaBounty and their AquAdvantage® Fish, a frankenfish made by splicing trout and tilapia genes into salmon to produce a fish that grows twice as fast as non genetically tampered with salmon. But I would only make your eyes glaze over, so instead, do your own research and be mortified at what the future may hold in terms of food production. Oryx and Crake is upon us.

Instead, I shall dwell upon the miracles of the Turkey Deep Fryer. A friend had been given of these contraptions, by some friends in the States Initially he viewed this thing with contempt, but on Saturday night he decided to try it. He and I were both extremely leery of it, as it is a pretty rudimentary device, and we had both seen the videos of the frozen turkey put in deep fryer and what happens. It's a large contraption, and 8 litres of oil filled it about 1/4! So we donned welding gloves and goggles, and cooked potatoes, a chicken and some sausages. The sausages cooked in 3 minutes! The chicken and potatoes were done 25 minutes. They were crispy, brown and looked like a million dollars, and they were not greasy and very, very tasty. Now I want to use it to make donuts. mmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Far too serious seems to be going around. I'd like to escape that if at all possible, but far too serious has got it's mitts wrapped around my ankles and is pulling me under the swill.

    It's time for the deep-fried experiments to begin: twinkies, coca cola, beer, irritating neighbors, politicians too long in the tooth, Ricco, mimes......

    ReplyDelete