Friday, July 31, 2009

Ni Shagu Nazad!



Warren Beatty is quoted as saying "My notion of a wife at forty is that a man should be able to change her, like a bank note, for two twenties."

This week I have been stricken with the lurg, a real bed confining ripper. The upside of this experience was that, once I was done with wallowing in self pity and pain, I started thinking about riding the bike and the best roads I have ridden in New Zealand. Some of the roads are in places that are remote or only visited on holiday, but a number are within striking distance of where most of us live.

What I plan to do is to share them and my thoughts over the next couple of posts, in no particular order, here's the first (and only one for the day because I'm still feeling sorry for myself)-

The Waitati Loop. Approximately seventy four kilometres from the start of North East Valley, Dunedin, the loop has two substantial climbs up to four hundred metres, one up to two hundred metres and a section of rolling hills. It also has a couple of magnificent descents, excellent views over Dunedin, Otago Harbour, Blueskin Bay and the Silverpeaks. Most of the roads are very lightly travelled and are in very good conditions.
The substantial climbs are both steady and can be ridden comfortably without major steep sections causing handlebar wrenching, the views at the top are jawdropping.
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to ride the loop for a few years, but it holds a strong place in my riding memory, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone after a decent loop ride out of Dunedin.

Here's the profile-
Directions:-

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/new-zealand/dunedin/903124903305550176


I will be adding several to this list, and by no means is it definitive, it's just something I want to share. Additionally, I do have some glaring gaps in my EnZed riding, especially the lower North Island, but in time I will fill those holes. Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment