Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Caught in a trap



It's not everyday that a man acts out the metaphor, but last week, on Wednesday CTB did.

He was one of the game souls who started the inaugaral Kiwi Brevet . An feverish trial of inner strength, endurance, sheer bloody mindedness and cycling. It was eleven hundred kilometres of riding around the top half of the South Island, a mix of roads and terrain, just madness of the best sort.

CTB rocked up on his cyclocross bike, and four days later finished the event, in third place. The next day he had to go and have his backside re-skinned with plastic skin.

Well done fella!

I'm looking forward to catching up for that beer and hear the gritty tale in full.

As an aside I did raise the prospect of me doing it next year over dinner last night, surprising it got the tentative thumbs up.


5 comments:

  1. You left on the most important question: what kind of plastic? Was it bakelite, the stuff old phones were made from? Was it carbon fiber? Was it a rigid see-through plastic like DVD jewel cases are made from? Maybe it was Saran Wrap?

    If I were going to have my backside covered with something it would be Karen O or Zooey Deschanel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CTB, this is a valid set of questions, although we do want to know, we don't want too much information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CTB here....good news is my arse has healed...I no longer need to stick the gladwrap like plastic skin on by butt cheeks. The bad news is that every ounce of speed has left my legs. I identified this when I was swinging from the back of the a grade scratch race at the manukau velodrome last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously the perversely huge salary you make publishing this blog has caused you to not only lose your grasp on your responsibilities as a blog publisher but also to become unforgivingly lazy.

    I had to cancel a party I had scheduled for tonight because there was no new Defective Earthling installment for everyone to read. As a result, I'm stuck with 4 bisexual goats that I rented and now have no use for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take the goats, enjoy, as this weekend I have absconded all responsibilities due to weddings to enjoy, bonfires to stand around, polo matches to attend and children on motorbikes to watch.
    Writing a missive somehow slipped from my alcohol fueled grasp.
    Tomorrow, my insolent pup.

    ReplyDelete