Friday, February 26, 2010

The Human Speedhump




Last night I raced in B grade at the BioSPORT crit.
Again, good numbers on the start line and it was reasonably steady. The average speed until 500 metres to go was 42.2 kph, not bad given the wind.
All was going peachy, until the final lap and second to last corner. There, a rider decided to try and enter the trunk of a car that had been parked there all race.

Then two others who managed to pull up and avoid the vehicle decided to ride across the pack at zero mph. I was about 10th wheel and feeling frisky, suddenly I am facing an impending T bone. So I grabbed a handful of brakes, bike bucked and suddenly I was sitting on the road. In the panic stopping I had blown out the front tube and rolled the clincher...
Horror moment as I realised that there were approximately 50 riders still behind me. So I assumed brace position and copped 115kg man in back along with his bike. Then another one after that.
The chap who hit me, made excellent use of me as a crash pad, and walked away unscarthed. Unfortunately his frame not so, and it was unmarked, apart from a big crack in it.


Me, bark off hip and elbow, cut finger, bruising and a bit sore today, but nothing broken.


Bike, broken Kestrel bars, both wheels bent (rear one from someone riding over it), front rim is knackered with a kink in the rim wall.
Right shifter scuffed, RD scuffed, saddle scuffed. Otherwise all okay.

Bibs wrecked, glove torn.

I'll hopefully be back on the bike in a couple of days and racing again next week. There's going to be some yummy scabbing!

Thanks to Mikeal, Doris and CTB for lightening my spirits afterwards, even if I did drink enough ethanol and tell enough lies to ensure a solid night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. If nothing else, crashing is almost always intense and exciting. It makes for great drunken story telling. "...no shit! There I was. The situation was grim, as usual...."

    ReplyDelete