Thursday, February 11, 2010

Larus dominicanus


First up, an update of sorts from Sunday's ride.
Here's the route, Doris's Day of Destiny . I've taken it from the Lincoln Road, Universal Drive intersection in Horrenderson and finished it at the end of the new motorway at Maioro St in New Windsor.
Here is the profile, it is from Balmoral, back to Balmoral, so includes the NW Bikepath, etc.
I have also discovered today, that one of the riders on Sunday is a scavenger, like a seagull. On arriving in Titirangi, said rider raced over to the Hardware Cafe where Warren and Serge sat,
and grabbed the portion of brioche that Serge was yet to consume. They then, in their own words "Scarfed it". Interesting behaviour, I do hope that they don't adopt other seagull like habits.

I raced tonight, in the bioSport Crit. I rode B grade. It was great fun, and I had a blast. Thanks to Greg and co for organising these races. A good size field, fifty eight riders, reasonable pace, and thoroughly enjoyable. Unfortunately, I also proved to be inadequate for a member of the female sex.

I had mentioned to Gael, from Solo, that I could lead her out for the final sprint. Gael is a damn good rider, and had won the previous week in the face of some stiff competition. So, tonight I rolled around the race mid field, comfortable and happy. With two laps to go, I made the move through a lap to get much closer to the pointy end of the race. As I passed Gael around the start of the final lap, I told her to jump on board. All good, so far. Turned into the finish straight, position, not bad. Gael yells "Go, Go, Go" and I mentally respond, my body doesn't. I was completely tapped out, and going a speed that wouldn't be out of place at a Senior Citizen's Zimmer Frame Race. It was appalling.
Faced with that handicap, Gael did very well to get around from behind the lumbering behemoth that was me, get up to speed and run it very close to finish second.

Well done Gael.

Mental note to self, be gallant with things I can manage - doors, puddles and seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment