Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In Muddy Lanes

Fifty one weeks ago four of us ventured out to Aka Aka and back, via Waiuku and a stop at the bakery at Patumahoe. The weather was pretty average and quite windy, and by the end, one hundred and forty kilometres later, I was a trifle weary.

Last Sunday it was decided that three of us should follow the same loop. Of the four last year, only two of us returned, The Croc and I, we had Wayne Hudson for company this time. The first part went quite quickly, at that stage we had The Worm present, and he made himself useful for the first three quarters of an hour. Then he turned to complete a shorter loop. That left three of us, so we carried on.
I suffered yet another puncture just before Drury, front wheel this time, glass again. I think that everyone should have to earn a license for buying beverages in glass bottles. Those who don't have their license re only allowed sipper bottles, and that way there would hopefully be less of the apparently randomly broken bottles that litter our roads.

The ride was steady and very pleasant, apart from some inclement weather. Those roads are excellent, with little traffic and a variety of terrain. Apart from mud and some passing dung they are far better than any city roads.

As we passed over Bald Hill we could see a large, dark squall bearing down on us. A steady ride to the excellent bakery at Patumahoe got us out of the worst and into warmth for a sit down and a neenish tart in my case. We congratulated ourselves on being so clever and avoiding the squall.
Saddling up for the homeward leg, we headed out, and were hit by a furious squall that included torrential icy rain, gusty wind and some hail for good measure. So much for our earlier wisdom.

Yet again, I returned home with one hundred and forty kilometres under my belt, weary and a completely filthy bike.
It's a ride I'd recommend heartily.

Here is The Croc basking in the comfort of the Patumahoe Bakery, having towed two of us for miles over Hill Road with it's wind and the worst seal in New Zealand. Top effort that man.

This morning, I went out in the pre-dawn and endured yet another wet, dirty ride, it's getting past a joke now.

1 comment:

  1. My legs are still hurting from doing this ride with you last year. I'm sure you fiddled with my bike and set the brakes up so they rubbed the rim.

    ReplyDelete