Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wasclely Wabbits


Well, the drought has well and truly broken. This week I got the green light from the Orthopod that, in his own words, I could now do anything. My clavicle is no longer busticated. It is healed.
To celebrate I rode my bike in the great outdoors. My first ride was pretty gingerish, but confidence was quickly gained.

That morning was the morning after the downpour of Tuesday and the paths and roads were covered in all manner of leaves, grit and gravel. The pics below were taken post ride, and my bike was clean before the ride.


On this particular ride I rode the new bike path between Henderson town centre and the rural part of Henderson Valley Road. Waitakere City Council are to be commended for this path, it is wide, well surfaced and a pleasure to ride. Except for one little hazard, as one exits the back of the Corbans Estate there is a slightly off camber left hand corner. This corner throws you off line as you enter a bridge, and instead of being firmly on the bike section of the bridge, you can find yourself on the slippery metal grate. In my case I had to make a hurried grab for the bridge railing to stay rubber side down.

Waitakere City Council also deserve another bouquet for finally putting a decent surface on the bridge across the Henderson creek on the North Western Cycleway. The surface now is firm, has excellent traction and doesn't squirm like previous matting. Well done.

Today The Crocodile and I braved the elements and knocked out three hours in pretty average conditions, oddly on a route that is normally pretty well traversed by cyclists (The Ridge Road loop) we didn't see a single other cyclist, they must be getting a touch soft me thinks.

The great thing about all this rain is that the metal roads will be getting well bedded down, and with a few more miles under my belt, I can go and tackle some blazingly great roads in Rodney District. Truly I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment