Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No more shall we part




Well, here we are, two weeks on from being petrified and less than manly, Mikeal (Spiller of seed) and I have mastered the two wheeled, two seat bicycle.

We saddled up, and mounted the object of fear the other day. I can't say it went seamlessly, but it was a victory. We wobbled our way about for a while, then entertained the commuting traffic around Point Chev with a snake like wobble, several curses and the threat of intra-fratenal warfare. That was the low point.

A stop in a workshop later and corrected seat height and we were fearsome. From there we rode smoothly out to the Rosebank Road go-kart track and proceded to lap it around the tight track, no traffic, few distractions and no laughter from the two builders and their dog. We were a unit, at one.

On our return to town we sped along the bike path, with the eighty kilometre per hour traffic inching past us, we were a missile with two men atop. Homeward we made it all the way with no further incidents.

This weekend we will attempt a whole one hundred kilometres, although I suspect I may need to change my bare SLR saddle to something with even a modicum of padding to avoid a minor meltdown. Apart from that all will be good.

As a complete aside, I did have a wager on the Round Taupo a couple of years prior. This wager was around myself and Gordon McKendry on a tandem to beat two comparative whippets on another tandem. Thankfully Gordon was less of a man than me and chickened out. I suspect that while, our combined two hundred kilogrammes plus would have been a trifle slow up hill, based on my current tandem experiences, I would say that we would have been unable to even ride it in a straight line far enough to reach the control gates, all five hundred metres from the start. That would have been the nadir of my cycling career.

1 comment:

  1. As I've told you many times now, the SLR is an ass-hatchet, much like Olympus cameras are ass-inine. Maybe you're right, thoug about the SLR. Maybe it weren't the saddle that rubbed wrong but the fact that for part of a day you say you road a man missile. Maybe you didn't lube up enough. Perhaps you need to do some relaxation exercises before mounting the missile next time.

    ReplyDelete