Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Silent Running



I rode heaven then a section of misery last week. The misery, it was an eye-crossing piece of concrete torture that rendered me knock-kneed and gasping. Truly, I was savaged and spat out.
I am not sure which propelled me up this piece of wickedness more, fear or determination, but I conquered it.

What I am describing is a piece of road, that is a glorious climb, a near constant seven percent gradient for four kilometres, bottom half seal, top half metal, bush lined and quiet. It joins, via a short section of hike-a-bike, it's utter opposite.
Five hundred and sixty metres of concrete hell, averaging 15%, but with about 300 metres over 20% and hitting and holding 29%, it is several minutes of torture.

I rode it without stopping, but that was purely because I couldn't quite work out how to, without risking a skin/concrete interface.

When I got to the top, I had the world laid out before me, and I was spent.

Go and try it, but from my own painful experience a 39 x 26 is far too big a gear for that sort of stupidity.

Email me if you want directions.

And, with a finger prod in my direction, the friendly Amerikan sent this, something to render you agog!

Plains Milky Way from Randy Halverson on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Where is this beast of a climb? I enjoy an amount of soul destroying pain and suffering whilst on the bike. Do share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Opanuku Road, Henderson Valley. It runs off Mountain Road, to the left, as you head into the climb, few hundred metres before Mountain Road starts it's own version of green hell.
    Just follow Opanuku Road up, about 2.5 kms after you first start it turns to metal, then another 1.5kms you will come to a seeming dead end.
    You will see a walking track straight ahead (Dreamlands Track) go through there, 60 metres long, it's flat, but narrows with a sharp drop and a set of half a dozen unrideable stairs that drop down to a wide concrete drive.
    Ride up the drive, and you will pop out on one of the highest points of Scenic Drive.

    Have fun, file a report!

    ReplyDelete