Sunday, June 26, 2011

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever.




Yes, once again I have been lazy and stalked and staked a quote from Carl Sagan to the masthead.

Saturday, it was the day of the Winter Solstice Ride. It was also a day of less than hospitable weather in the darkened hours before the appointed meeting time. The weather lead to a few of the known attendees cancelling, then me advising others that I knew were coming that we would defer.

Then I had a small fit, and thought that it wasn't that bad out, and I was awake, and that maybe there would be other attendees who would just turn up. So I set off to the meeting place.

I was a few minutes late, and found sheltering there in the bus shelter, two hardy souls, Jay and Andrew. A brief consultation and we decided to change the route to something a little more humane, and set off to circumnavigate the BCL. As we rolled along the NW bikepath, we encountered a very bright light, oncoming. It was The Croc!
He had thought he was running late, so had chased along the bike path, and realised when he reached Te Atatu Road that there was no bunch ahead (he knows I am incapable of riding that fast), so turned, and we were fortunate to meet him.

So the four of us rolled around the BCL, in conditions better than we expected, the ride was good, apart from a 50% puncture rate in the group, and we even saw the Sun.

As part of the preparation for the original route for the ride, I deposited, in the bushes on the side of Scenic Drive, a bottle of scotch and a dozen plastic glasses. This bounty is still there, and would make an excellent toast for the soul who discovers it, before I get back there to reclaim it.

I will post some approximate coordinates this week, and let the treasure hunt begin.

2 comments:

  1. Blended, nothing special.
    Here be the coordinates.
    36 55.372 S
    174 33.827 E

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete