Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Snakes are just tales




On the countdown now for Saturday, the Winter Solstice Ride, the forecast is looking positive and that little surprise that lurks in the Waitakeres will be ready.

I mused as I rode today, and realised that I haven't thrown out a list of favourite things, places to visit, music to listen to, or anything similar for quite some time. Does this mean that I have mellowed and no longer want to proselytize and convert? Hell no! Does this mean that I have stopped seeking and learning? Not a dog's show!
It's more that I couldn't decide what to next inflict direct upon you.

So, to remedy this I have decided that I shall share some thoughts on my favourite New Zealand Fauna. Nothing makes me more excited, or satisfied, than seeing native fauna in the wider environment. Not for a moment am I decrying the role of zoos and museums in education, species preservation, research and their roles in giving access to fauna, but to me there is an unrivaled thrill in seeing fauna in the wild.

Without further ado here is a sample:-

Geckos (Various) - Jewelled forest dwellers, I have been lucky to see them a few times, and am certain that I have missed countless opportunities as I have walked through the bush.

Kingfish (Seriola lalandi sp.) - I defy anyone to not get a thrill watching these green, silver and yellow predators chase and harass baitfish, they are sleek, streamlined and voracious.

Puriri Moth (Aenetus virescens) - These big, green, bumbling moths are always a sight to behold in the dark of the forest. Normally I only see them when I ride Scenic Drive, but they always make me smile.

Fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa) - That dancing flight, their inquisitiveness and their familiar kissing voice are always a trip straight back to my childhood.

And that is just a slither of what I love, I could wax lyrical and bore you witless, but will resist.

Instead, here's a blast from the recent past.

No comments:

Post a Comment