Friday, September 2, 2011

Lacrimosa

Day Twenty four and a song I would like played at my funeral. This was harder than I thought, given my agnostic beliefs and my desire not to be too hypocritical, so most of what I consider decent funerary music is out of bounds for me.

The great pieces of music for the time of mourning tend to be devotional, and while tremendous in emotion, comfort and solace, I do feel somewhat odd asking for forgiveness from a God who I don't believe in. The wonderful Dies Irae sequence from most requiem masses is uplifting and reaffirming, but not quite right for a heathen like myself.

If I was to choose a devotional piece, it would be Mozart's Lacrimosa, from his Requiem Mass, but the Latin text would make me too great a hypocrite, and would have those who attend my passing wondering if I'd had a Lord Marchmain moment.

So, instead here is a song that always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment