Monday, September 19, 2011

Silica scourge


I have been a diligent puppy, applying myself to the training task with enthusiasm. The training task being that of cycling more easily over inclines, losing ballast from my ample carcass and becoming fitter. This weather has been a slight impediment to true pleasure, but then the perverse part of my nature has taken to the task with some enthusiasm.

That enthusiasm took a denting on Sunday morning. The ride wasn't all bad, in fact it was damn good, with a bunch of chaps from Mt Eden Cycles and Junior, it was a pleasant outing, over to Bethalls, then Taupaki at a good steady pace, win a well disciplined bunch.

I would go as far as to say that the Mt Eden Cycles bunches are an utter pleasure, with common sense, good old-fashioned bunch riding skills and a friendly attitude. Junior and my participation in both of their Sunday bunches was not by design, just serendipity, as they happened to roll past at the right moment.

We had started off thinking we would use the bunch to get to the Waitaks, had chatted with the tail-end and enjoyed the roll out to Swanson. The back bunch, the one we were lurking in was going over Scenic Drive. The front bunch was going on a longer loop, and was a little faster. As luck would have it, we were able to skip from one bunch to the other, after the first climb up scenic Drive from Swanson.

The rest of the time with the first bunch was most enjoyable.

On the return, just past Lincoln Road the heavens opened and rain heaved down. As I crossed the bridge on the bike path towards Flanshaw Road, I felt that ominous squishy feeling, and knew that my front tyre was ejecting it's air contents. The bunch carried on, I wouldn't have wanted them to stop in those conditions. I sought shelter beside the trunk of a tree. There I was still able to enjoy the precipitation, but only a shower, compared to the torrent that was falling a metre away.

I changed the tyre, a small piece of glass the culprit. Once reinflated and ready I sailed off, sodden on sodden roads.

The only real upside from the downpour is that my bike was quite a lot cleaner than it had been after Saturday morning's pleasant, wet mess.

1 comment:

  1. I've discovered that not taking in fluids is a great way to lose ballast.

    ReplyDelete