Sunday, August 28, 2011

Falco novaeseelandiae




Some reckoning today. 180 kilometres, things went well with a nice little bunch of six. My legs, while willing on the flat, were useless, then more useless, then pitiful on the hills. The final straw came as I crept up Sandstone, it was an exercise in patience, and I was so slow that Junior was given to ask as to whether I had walked.

One of the highlights of the ride was Mikeal's keen-eyed spotting of a New Zealand Falcon, Karearea, over the mangroves between Kawakawa and Clevedon. Stunning little bird, so agile. I didn't realise that there were any around Auckland, this was a real gem.

Day nineteen, and a song from my favourite album. The album is The Return of the Grievous Angel. It's a tribute to Gram Parsons, and has a wide variety of musicians on it recording Gram's songs. It is consistent from Go to Whoa, and has been a constant companion since it's purchase last century.
a single song doesn't do it just, so here are two!



No comments:

Post a Comment