Thursday, August 4, 2011

Marlow wonders



Now civilised, refreshed, sleep enriched and enthusiastic I have been taking stock of Sunday's ride. I have endured my far share of mockery, even from the Highlands of Scotland, with regard to my wander up the steeper section of Kiwitahi Road.

The last time I placed a foot on the ground there was the very first time I rode the climb. It was last century, and with Warren King, I was on my steel Merckx, and he on his Bianchi. I had a 39 x 21 bottom gear, and the difference to Sunday was that climb was metal from the very bottom. It was the middle of summer, and a small brain implosion made us ride up there. I can claim that it was my foolish idea, but Warren did nothing to dissuade me from the concept.

We slogged our way up, what was a steep, corrugated and dusty climb, and just when I hit that final wall I stood, and all traction evaporated. Warren sailed on, he had a 23T, whereas I had ballast and a 21T. A brief moment and I was remounted and managed to complete the ride up the wall.

The memory of that deeply repressed moment came flooding back on Sunday, at least that first time there were no spectators to witness my humiliation, and no cameras to record it for posterity. Oh well.

Now, I am planning a fiendish course for V2, and hopefully this time, I can maintain my composure.

On the up, I turned legs over on the Iron Maiden last night, found not as bad as anticipated, that was a very pleasant surprise.

The child in me finds this video just dandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment